How to reload on change

Hello,

I would like to know how to reload the server on change. Having to manually stop and start the server manually on every change is driving me crazy. The command jets server outputs:

=> bundle exec rackup --port 8888 --host 127.0.0.1
Jets booting up in development mode!
Puma starting in single mode...
* Version 4.3.1 (ruby 2.5.7-p206), codename: Mysterious Traveller
* Min threads: 0, max threads: 16
* Environment: development
* Listening on tcp://127.0.0.1:8888
Use Ctrl-C to stop

Which is different from what it’s on the site. I have shotgun as dependency.

Thank you.

What Jets version are you running?

The version is 2.3.8

Interesting, released 2.3.8 with an adjustment to hot reloading but am not seeing how it is resulting in this right now. Here’s the compare:

https://github.com/tongueroo/jets/compare/v2.3.7...2.3.8

Here’s the line:

This should handle it though:

Wondering if you can try:

$ jets console
> Jets.config.hot_reload

Post what that shows please.

The result is:

=> true

Weird, hot reloading should work then. Which files specifically are not reloading?

All of them actually… shotgun is not being used :(.

shotgun has not been used for a while now. Hot reloading is handled with Zeitwerk for a while now https://github.com/tongueroo/jets/pull/254

Weird that it’s not working for you for some reason. It may be system specific as haven’t been able to reproduce both on my cloud9 machine and Macosx :thinking:

Check what version of Zeitwerk you have and try upgrading maybe. Unsure here.

Maybe even try spinning up a cloud9 machine - takes only a few minutes. And see if you can reproduce the issue with that. That will help identify if this is a machine specific issue.

The version on my local Mac is 2.2.2. I’m using Cloud9 as well and there the version is the same. Should I see the server reloading when I change a file? Cause even on Cloud9 the reload does not happen. I’m using an OSX with Catalina and on Cloud9 I’m using a Ubuntu.

You don’t “see” a reload in the terminal. The files should change though.

So edit your controller or your view files and refresh the browser. You should see the changes without haven’t to restart your server.

It sounds like that is what you’re doing though so am unsure.

That’s it, sorry for losing your time :/. Usually tools that hot reload provide a feedback in the terminal.

1 Like

All good. Glad it was sorted out.

hi

I also trouble with hot reload matter.

I’m developing on docker and Jets.config.hot_reload is TRUE.
what should I do??